What is a Robotic Process Automation?
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is a combination of technologies which allow automation of structured, repetitive and routine office tasks, which your employees perform using a mouse and a keyboard in any of your IT systems. RPA is a great tool to tasks that are driven by procedures, schedules and instructions. Thanks to robots your employees gain support with most tedious tasks and can spend more time on jobs that require creativity.
RPA works great regardless of your industry (including all kinds of shared services – finance, accounting, HR, but also in customer care, banking or health services). RPA can cooperate with full range of applications – starting with “black” terminals, through all kinds of windows applications to the most modern web applications.
Which processes are a perfect fit for robotization?
Robot works best while doing tedious, boring, repetitive tasks, requiring a lot of care for details and error-prone for humans. Processes that have characteristics described below are perfect fit for robotization. However in real life they rarely satisfy all of them. Most processes must have at least of those to be a good candidate for robotization:
- Process is highly standardized, documented and stable
- Input data are digitized
- Process requires significant amount of repetitive manual labor
- Automated system is relatively stable in terms of adding new functionalities and in near future there are no significant architectural changes planned
- Automated process is human error prone (requires large amount of data input, especially sensitive like amounts, dates or clients’ IDs)
- Automated process covers few IT systems what requires an employee to be able to multitask and frequently switch between the applications
- Automated process has significant volume fluctuations what makes adequate staffing challenging for Customer